InfoWorld: Experts say a practice known as "whaling" -- launching a targeted phishing attack again top executives or other key employees -- is on the rise. "As more private information becomes public, through social media sites and otherwise, targeting specific individuals within companies has become easier for hackers and thus a preferred method of attack," says PricewaterhouseCoopers' Kim Peretti. To protect your enterprise, experts recommend five best practices:
- Learn what a whaling attack is and how to identify actual threats and attacks.
- Make your executives take the time to learn how to avoid being harpooned.
- Do your own penetration testing and social engineering.
- Use common sense with social networking.
- Use security technology to help thwart attacks.