CIOInsight: According to a new report from Forrester Research, 42.6 percent of enterprises surveyed said that IT capital spending was flat in 2010, while one-third said spending increased at least 5 percent and 23 percent say spending decreased. The numbers are slight better for total IT spending: 38 percent report an increase, 25 percent report a decrease, and 37.4 percent said it didn't change.
Other findings in the report include the following:
- 53 percent of 2010 IT budgets were spent on ongoing operations and maintenance.
- 29 percent of 2010 budgets went to new initiatives.
- 32.1 percent of 2010 budgets paid for full-time salaries.
- 19 percent of 2010 IT budgets paid for software.
- The top five CIO priorities for 2010 were consolidate IT infrastructure, significantly upgrade disaster recovery/business continuity, expand use of mobile tech for employees and customers, significantly upgrade security, and implement or expand use of collaborative capabilities.