eWeek: What is IBM doing to demonstrate that it's the leader in green IT? Here's a look:
1) Green Sigma - IBM has initiated a new industry alliance called "Green Sigma" to monitor and analyze solutions for greener IT.
2) Supercomputer/furnace - The company is building a first-of-its-kind watercooled supercomputer that uses the excess heat it generates to warm office space.
3) Battery research - The search is on for the next generation of rechargeable batteries that will last up to 10 times as long as today's models.
4) Efficient sewage - IBM software is helping San Francisco better manage its wastewater and reduce pollution.
5) Green data centers x 100 - Big Blue just finished outfitting its 100th green data center. This one is located in Columbia County, Georgia.
6) Energy management - IBM's Tivoli Monitoring for Energy Management now works with other software packages to help company's better track and control their energy use.